17 May 2011

The Living Soul

Eleonora Duse
"If the sight of the blue skies fills you with joy, if a blade of grass springing up in the fields has power to move you, if the simple things of nature have a message that you understand, rejoice, for your soul is alive."

This quote is by the Italian actress Eleonora Duse, who was a contemporary of Sarah Bernhardt's, and an innovator in the theater.  

Her words speak to the experience of presence, and to the meaning of being in relationship with the Earth and yourself.

To seize the day is to live it on our own terms.  To find our own terms, we must question our assumptions about happiness, satisfaction, and what is important in life.  It is this process that leads us to mystery, light, and love.

As we struggle with problems and trying to solve them, it is easy to forget that life is made up of days, and that the quality of our life is made up of the quality of our days.

Hope you have a lovely day.

2 comments:

  1. This is lovely. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long ago my mom sent me a card with the Annie Dillard quote, "How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." I spent years thinking about that, trying to understand what it meant. As I was remarkably unhappy for so long, it was hard to come to terms with the idea. Now that I'm in my 30s, I find I'm finally able not only to understand the idea, but to love it! Thank god for transformation as we age. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!