10 August 2011

Standing in the Wind

Today I'm thinking about movement and wind.  It certainly seems like things are moving fast, that chaos is all around, and most of us cannot help but feel afraid and very uncertain about the future.



The whole situation reminds me of wind, and of a very windy place I visited on my vacation: the beautiful Cape Blanco...



Cape Blanco is a state park and campground outside of Port Orford on the Southern Oregon Coast.  It was so windy there, both in town and at our campsite.  Cape Blanco is the Westernmost point in Oregon.  The Cape hangs out into the sea, all to itself, with a lighthouse at the end.





The wind whips across the cape day and night; whips through the camp; whips over the hillside where the lighthouse stands; whips across fields that lead to the sea.  There were times, I admit, when we wished, very much, that it would stop.

But, by the end of our time there, I felt cleansed.  I felt brushed clean of all the little bits of stress and worry that tend to grab hold in daily life.  It's rather hard to find a good cleansing wind on a daily basis.  And to find the time to stand in it....




...and perhaps watch a sunset.

These winds of change are challenging and scary, but they give us a chance to stand on our feet...

to feel what it is to stand still in the midst of movement...

to stand still despite movement... and to see what happens in that stillness.

Maybe in the stillness we find something new and unexpected; maybe we find something true.  Maybe we find a new direction, a new way to go.


Maybe we emerge cleansed and hopeful.  I hope so.

4 comments:

  1. That's lovely, and well timed for me, as I contemplate that nothing worthwhile in my life has come about without fear. So perhaps I just need a bit more wind so that I can take the risks that will take me where I need to go. -Q

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Q, hope some nice strong, supportive winds come your way soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of long bike rides along country roads in the wind. Sometimes you're settled in for a long climb and then this head wind hits you, and at times it can be demoralizing, as if the climb wasn't hard enough. All other possible thoughts escape except to sit with this wind. But after passing through it, you feel like you've really accomplished something. And, the peace and quiet become so much more pronounced - quite a welcomed joy results.

    Thanks for sharing this, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Julie. I know what you mean! Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!